Saturday 22 January 2011

A lesson to be learned

21st of January

Today was one of those days. After many interrupted nights of being woken up by Lemmy's agitated bad dreams, last night we finally had a good full long night of sleep. Why is it though, that when you sleep a bit more you still feel more tired? One of those days...
Marc had to play tonight and there were lots of things to get done (as always!) before he left. Playing with Lemmy, eat, shower, and just the essentials.
I don't even know how started but somehow we both got a bit irritated and snapped a little bit. I went to my room to do other stuff while Marc went to the kitchen. I heard Lemmy saying very loudly: Sandwich! Papa! Sandwich! Mama!! Sandwich!! I thought he wanted a sandwich but since he was already in the kitchen with Marc I didn't respond. I hear Marc asking him: Do you want a cheese sandwich?
No! Lemmy said. I want a Papa, Mama and Lemmy sandwich!! So I ran to the living room and we did the "Lemmy sandwich" which consisted of holding Lemmy in the middle while daddy and mummy squish him very tight! He loves this. To be hones we all love it! :) We did this over and over. Papa, Mama and Lemmy sandwich. Suddenly our mood change, we were more playful, more relax. We ended up in our bed being tickle by Lemmy! Lots of giggles, hugs, squishes and kisses. Laughter and joy fill the room. A perfect moment. Marc and I looked at each other and say: who is this little guy? He sense how we were feeling and brought us together in his own little way. How did Marc and I create such a precious, amazing little guy?! We were amazed at his heart, at his love, his sweetness. I need to remember this lesson.

There's something powerful about laughter and closeness. Below are some things I was reading in the book Playful Parenting. It looks like Lemmy (like most children!) knew so naturally the way to bring people closer :)

" In my mind there is nothing so illiberal, and so ill-bred, as audible laughter....I am neither of a melancholy, nor a cynical disposition, and am as willing and apt to be pleased as anybody; but I am sure that since I have had the full use of my reason, nobody has even heard me laugh."
-Lord Chesterfield, Letters to his son (1774)-

We often forget the importance of laughter. Giggles and belly laughs are the natural way that children and adults release fears and embarrassment and anxiety. Parents can use this technique of following the giggles to lighten up a conflict or a tense moment.
Sharing a giggle is a basic way to join and connect with children. Laughter automatically brings people closer. So laughing together makes a connection, and making a connection often brings a laugh. Combine the giggles with physical contact, and that is another great way of being close.
Laughter is healing. 





No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

My Favorites

Followers