Tuesday 26 July 2016

Berry picking in Hertfordshire

22 July 2016


I grew up in the city. Well, not technically right in the city, more like a suburb. When I was 3 I rode my tricycle around the block of my house, then at age 6  I learned to ride a bike in the middle of the road in front of my house. We didn’t go often to the park. At least I  don’t remember it. We did go to a Country club, where I would meet with my friends and now and then go to the playground there. Mostly, I would skate with my roller skates, play all kinds of different games, including hide and seek,  tag , la busqueda ( the search ) if we were too many people and more. When I got a bit older, we use to exchange stickers and stationaries and it was just girls by then. I only remember once going to a Farm with my school, and I still remember the feel of the cow’s udders when I tried to milk it, sort of rough and rugged, not what I expect it I guess. I bought eggs from the chickens there, which I proudly carried them on my lap all the ride home on the bus for what seemed like an eternity so they would be intact as a gift for my mum! (while other’s didn’t last the whole trip)!

To think that at the same time, there was a little boy in England that went with his family to pick berries, and years later he is back with his own family, in the same place!! It makes it extra special :) 

Growing up in such a different place and culture than England, it makes me appreciate the things I didn’t have then. One of my favourite things is to take my kids for berry picking. I find it so charming! I only read it in books. I think that’s why I love England so much. Because since I first landed here as an adult, even the houses looked out of a book, books I used to read when I was little. The country side, the fields, the flowers are all part of the charm of this beautiful place.

I love seeing my kids eating as many berries as they can! Well, mostly Lainey! Not much is left in her basket, as she puts them in for seconds later to grab them again :) She loves the gooseberries and raspberries the most. She makes noises and rubs her belly in delight. To see everything through their eyes. The tint of the blackberries running through their fingers. The purple lips and stickiness. The fragrance of the strawberries. It is magical. The whole package, of picking berries to then go home and make a dessert with them. It feels good.
































































































No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

My Favorites

Followers